Thursday, April 8, 2010

Easter Weekend

Thanks especially to the beautiful weather, we had a wonderful Easter weekend! On Friday, I took Jackson and Kate over to Wilson since MM & PP were here. While the kiddos played and napped, I got a little (kid-free) grocery shopping done. {Woo-hoo!} And before we left MM & PP gave us our Easter flowers. Jackson was so excited that he got one, too! Last year, the girls got flowers and Jackson got a little train. I'm pretty sure he was more excited about this year's plant though! He proudly carried it out to the car and brought in into the house to show his Daddy when we got home! And as soon as it warms up (Ha, it's been crazy warm this past week or so, but I just know we'll have another frost!) just a little, we are going to plant it out in the yard!
Kate got a pretty pink flower! Daisies, MM's favorite! :-)
Saturday was another work day on the building. Well, most of the day... Sean and Pat were out there bright and early working on the fascia. I would have never known how much detail work goes into building a structure. I have a whole new appreciation for home builders! You know, people like Gilbert. The guy who left a note in our mailbox with his phone number, letting us know he did roofing.
Sorry Gilbert, but we're good. They've got it under control and besides I have friends with roofing experience anyway.
AND it would have looked a little odd if Gilbert would have been included in this picture. That would have totally ruined the father-son moment.
Saturday afternoon Wilson came to Wendell for a little enjoy the nice weather/Easter egg hunt/ cookout for Sean & Pat's birthdays. It was just so nice to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful weather! As always, the cousins had a ball playing together. They are all 3 (actually, 4) some outside lovin' kids!! Although Ryley isn't much of a fan of some of the little critters that love the springtime, too! There was this one bee with an attitude that was for some reason not happy about us being on the deck. He was like the Grouchy Ladybug, buzzing up to you, stopping and staring, as if to say, "Want to fight?" And, I'm all about Mother Nature and bees doing their thing, but seriously, this bee was a little much. Very grouchy. So rather than reaching for the can of toxic bug spray, Pop-Pop and Amy discussed the butterfly net she had tucked away in her car for an Easter present. Well, the next thing I knew, Amy had captured the bee in the net on the first swing and Pop-Pop was up hopping across the deck to squash it. Yeah, I was there and all, but just can't squash a bug. That sound, that crunch, eww gives me the heeby jeebies right now. I'm pretty sure this little attempt at the story may sound a little odd, but it was intense. That bee just had to go. Cause it was just one bee. Or was it? Oh hell no, there were more and they came to check out the drama too, but they weren't nearly as grouchy. Everyone got along fine for the rest of the afternoon until the stinkin' wasp came along. But we were protected. We had our man with butterfly net there to take care of business. Who knew? Butterfly nets are the new backyard pest control. Wonder how they'll work for the gnats in the summertime? ;-)
After all that bee business and everyone was happily playing outside, we had our backyard Easter egg hunt. This one was a bit thrown together with a whole bunch of plastic eggs that Amy (Ryley) has collected over the years. We didn't quite have fillers planned out, but we improvised. You know, M&M's, raisins, and COINS! I guess I forgot they were kids b/c I had no idea how excited they would get over an egg filled with ANYTHING!
Jackson did an egg hunt last year, but it took a lot of coaching for him to really participate. This year, not so much. He was on it!
He had no time for pictures. There were eggs to collect!
But Ryley always has time to stop for a pose! She is such the photogenic one!! I love it!
While the rest of the kids were collecting eggs, Emma decided one egg with M&M's was enough. She just drove around on the Gator. Such the rebel!
It was so funny watching them pick up the eggs. With all the coins we ended up with, there was something inside a lot of the eggs. Well, they figured that out right away, so as soon as they picked up an egg, they would shake it before dropping it in their basket. Jackson would even stop and open most of them up. See Jackson was probably just spying in on what our neighbor had in her egg!
He had a blast though. He even told me tonight, "Mommy, I want to have another Easter egg hunt!"
This could be trouble in about 10 years!
Kate had the best time outside watching everything!
Watch out now!
Look at 'em all. So sweet and innocent! (Hahahahaha!)
After dinner, we celebrated Sean and Pat's birthdays with some cake and ice cream (cake). Yum Yum Yum!
Emma was patiently waiting for her slice.
Now she's happy! Cake with her Papa! What else could a little girl ask for?
Easter morning we woke up to...... what else, Easter baskets! Jackson found Kate's right away, tucked up under the jumperoo. He thought it was his until I pointed out the pink, flowery socks, then he was like, "OK, Kate. Here you go."
It took him the longest time to find his! And I kept telling him it was hiding in his favorite hiding spot!
Seeing excitement on a kid's face is priceless!
It's moments like this that really remind me what it's all about!
After (a valient attempt at) church, we went over to Mamma and Papa's for the afternoon. But while still in our Easter best, we attempted a few family pictures. I say 'attempt' b/c pictures involving little ones is always fun. You never know what you'll end up with! :-)
After pictures the kiddos raced inside to look for their Easter baskets. Once again, Jackson found someone else's before he found his own. Maybe he's just drawn to the pink. He eventually found his though.
And then it started.... "No, you may NOT have candy. You are going to have lunch and take a nap!" For the next hour!
Not only did she not ask for candy, but she even posed all pretty for a picture!
Check out Jackson's beach chair from Mamma and Papa! He knows he's cool.
After naps we finally got around to dying some eggs. I had been trying to get it done all week long. I'm glad it worked out the way it did, b/c Jackson would have probably lost interest quick if Ryley wouldn't have been there. And she loved it!
No, that's not Kate back there in the exersaucer. She hasn't grown quite that much! It's Emma and yes, she is just a little big for it! Not unlike this.
Jackson and Ryley wanted to try out their new chairs at dinner. Cute, huh?
Kate and Mom-Mom (and Pop-Pop, too) did quite a bit of bonding over the past couple of weeks. It was a great weekend and a great way to celebrate Easter.

1 comment:

Ashely said...

Is this link a hint? :)

I can always come help roof. I cannot always guarantee that it won't leak.