Wednesday, April 28, 2010

We got us a building, y'all!

I know it's been awhile since I've posted an update on the building, but it's not because the boys haven't been working! Pat has been over working several days during the week and he and Sean have worked a few evenings after work.

Earlier this month, my parents came up so my Daddy could help Sean work on the roof (and also to babysit Saturday night while we went out for Sarah and David's shower). They worked most of the day on Saturday and all day on Sunday until they (gladly!) ran out of shingles. The weather was beautiful, so while they worked, Mama and I just hung out and enjoyed the nice weather!
While we thought the weather was beautiful, I think the weather up on the roof was a different story. Those shingles just bake in the sun and when your crawling around up there, measuring and nailing and chalking lines, well, I guess you just kind of bake. And I don't mean your typical sunburned face and shoulders. Let's just put it like this... at the end of the day the 'moon' looked more like a sun. Don't worry there's no picture of that coming up next! :-)
Sean and Pat finally got an afternoon together last weekend. Like I said, Pat has worked on this project several days over the past month right by himself. He says that's what happens when you retire. I think he just can't sit still! I'm sure I can't even name all the tasks he's done on his own. Let's see, he put the tar paper on the roof, hung the door, finished putting up the sheathing, framed a window, cleaned up their messy job site, finished the shingles, put the roof vent on, worked on the fascia and started putting the wrap on. I think you'll agree that somebody just can't sit still! (But seriously, thanks Papa for all that you've been doing!) Sean has been able to get out there and work a few times, but I know not nearly as much as he's wanted to. He did get both the windows hung and did some work for the roof vents.
But working together last weekend, they were able to get a lot done! They finished the fascia and the wrap and got started on the siding. YAY, siding!! It's really starting to take shape!!
I'm pretty sure this tool you see here may be Pat's favorite tool, b/c he is one stickler for details! He may not agree that it's his favorite, but I know he wouldn't argue about the details. Holy moly, I thought I was particular!! He will make sure it's all lookin' good!
Pat was back out there today working on the siding and got quite a bit of it done. I love looking out at it now. It is finally starting to look finished!!
** And yes, that would be furniture already on the porch. We started looking a couple of weeks ago and weren't really finding much that we could agree on. Sean wanted the wicker look and I wanted motion/rockers. Well, put those two together and well, what you get is pretty much out of budget. I came across these wicker rockers in the Big Lots ad on Sunday and Sean, being the most particular one about the furniture (wonder where he got that from?), went to check them out on Monday. He was very impressed with the quality and I knew they wouldn't be around for long, so he went ahead and scooped them up...and the storage table, too! And in case you're wondering, they do sit very nicely out there!! :-)

3 comments:

Jenn Soloway said...

Awesome! Building looks fabulous!

And Big Lots can be an excellent place to find furniture. My coffee and foyer table are both from Big Lots (can't go wrong with metal and slate tiles!).

Sean said...

So close, but yet so far away. Thanks to Dad and Mike for all of thier help.

Sean said...

Whoops...spelling correction...their