Sunday, October 10, 2010

I'm still here.

I know, I still haven't posted Part 4 from Kate's 1st birthday weekend.  And I still haven't 'told' you about The Cake.  You see, Sean's knee surgery on the 29th has turned out to be yet another curve ball.  The pain and recovery has been unlike anything any of us expected.  Including his doctor.  He's getting better for sure, but we are both having to remind ourselves often that he was on the operating table for 3 hours, with what should have been about an hour surgery.  It's going to be slow and take some time.  Fortunately, we've had wonderful parents to lean on lately...and to especially help with the kids.  Things will be better this week.  For sure!

It's so funny how times like this get you thinking.  I now have more appreciation for single mothers than I've ever had.  I even cooked on the grill today!  Seriously -- that's the first time I've ever manned a gas grill by myself!  Stevie did come over today to take care of the mowing, so I haven't had to operate a push mower yet, but I will, if need be!  The yard may not look very good when I'm done, but at least the grass would be shorter!

This may sound odd, but my new favorite song is If I Die Young by The Band Perry.  At first listen it may sound a bit morbid.  But when you listen and really think about it, you see that it's not morbid at all.  To me, it's a reminder of how fragile life is and how easy it is to take things for granted.  And to be thankful for all that we have.  God has blessed me with a wonderful life and an amazing family!  There are so many simple things that I wake up to every day that some people never know in a lifetime.  Little challenges like Sean's knee surgery may be inconvenient and unfortunately cause him a lot of pain, but at the end of the day, we know it will get better.  And before we know it, we'll be right back to the everyday craziness that we're used to.  Hot water will still be on the left.

No comments: